The Ugly Truth About Those Drugs You Take for Your Arthritis
The Ugly Truth About Those Drugs
You Take for Your Arthritis
Natural Way to Health
Did you know that arthritis is not one disease?
The fact is, there are over 100 different types of arthritis. Here are just a few examples:
Jim and Martha — Osteoarthritis
Both Jim and his wife Martha suffer from the most common form of the disease — osteoarthritis. His family doctor told Jim that the pain and stiffness in his hip and knees probably resulted from his many years as a mail carrier. “Wear and tear” was how the doctor described it.
Plus, both Jim and Martha are in their 50s. Research shows that half of people in an older age group end up with this degenerative disease of the joints.
Martha feels the arthritic pain most in her fingers, but her back also feels stiff and achy in the mornings. Her doctor told Martha she has bone spurs on her spine from the arthritis.
Jim and Martha expected to enjoy an active retirement, but now they’re worried.
Their symptoms make it hard to walk for any distance, climb stairs, or even work in the garden. They used to enjoy dancing, but gave that up due to pain. Both Jim and Martha take over-the-counter drugs to relieve the arthritis pain and stiffness, but Jim in particular wonders if he needs something stronger to counter his worsening pain levels.
Helen — Rheumatoid Arthritis
And then there’s Helen, a wife and mother of three . . .
Helen was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) at age 45. Most people with RA show onset of the disease between 40 and 60, but it can strike at any age — even in children.
Rheumatoid arthritis is the second most common form of arthritis. A life-long, progressive autoimmune disease, RA affects many joints, including the hands, wrists, and ankles. It results from an abnormality in the immune system that causes it to attack healthy body tissues.
RA does not restrict its damage to the joints alone. The heart, blood vessels, lungs, nerves, skin, eyes, and other body organs and systems may also be targeted. With RA, damage can be severe.
Helen feels tired much of the time. She has had to give up quilting and playing the piano, her favorite pastimes, due to the inflammation, swelling, and pain in her hands. Her doctor prescribes what he calls “heavy duty” drugs for her RA. Helen wonders if the drug side effects might be worse than the disease itself — but doesn’t know what else she can do to help herself.
Carla D. — Fibromyalgia
Former school teacher and grandmother Carla D. suffers from a condition called fibromyalgia . . .
Fibromyalgia is considered an arthritis-related rheumatic condition, but is not a true form of the disease. Similar to arthritis, it does cause significant pain and problems with daily activities.
Carla is one of about 5 million Americans with fibromyalgia, which predominantly affects women between 40 and 75. Many people with rheumatoid arthritis also develop fibromyalgia.
Like many people with fibromyalgia, Carla suffers from widespread pain throughout her body, fatigue, mood changes, and memory problems. Her doctor has prescribed antidepressants and another drug also used as an anti-seizure medication.
So far, you’ve only seen three of the most common types of arthritis and related conditions. Other common forms of the disease include gout, lupus, and psoriatic arthritis.
Unfortunately, No Cure Exists for Arthritis
That’s why medical doctors typically fall back upon their most common weapon to manage the disease: their prescription pads.
Since over 50 million Americans suffer from doctor-diagnosed arthritis, you can imagine physicians stay quite busy writing a heck of a lot of prescriptions.
Perhaps you or a loved one use prescribed (or over-the-counter) drugs for arthritis symptoms.
Should you be worried?
Well, consider this: Adverse drug reactions are the
fourth leading cause of death
in the U.S.
And drugs for pain and inflammation are some of the worst offenders. Here are just a few problems associated with common arthritis drugs:
NSAIDs can cause stomach ulcers, liver or kidney failure, and increase the risk for blood clots, heart attack, and stroke. The risk of serious bleeding is even higher in people over the age of 60.
Many people take an aspirin a day, thinking it is safe. However, aspirin carries the same side effects as other NSAIDs, including GI bleeding. In addition, aspirin can deplete the body of many needed vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, vitamin C, folic acid, zinc, and iron.
It can cause a long list of side effects, including bleeding in the stomach or GI tract, mouth sores, liver damage, even an overall “mentally blah” feeling called “methotrexate fog.”
As a powerful steroid medication, prednisone has a lengthy list of potential side effects, including GI bleeding, diabetes, osteoporosis, infections, mood changes, and a form of cancer called Kaposi’s sarcoma.
Since biologic drugs suppress the immune system, they can increase your risk of infections and other diseases, including pneumonia. Among other side effects, they have been linked to depression and the development of cancer, particularly lymphoma.
Common side effects include tremors, shortness of breath, and forgetfulness. Others include infection and a cancer known as hemangiosarcoma. Pregabalin may also cause suicidal thoughts and behavior, panic attacks, and aggressive behavior.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These include over-the-counter drugs such as ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve), as well as prescribed drugs such as celecoxib (Celebrex) and piroxicam (Feldene). Aspirin, the oldest analgesic on the market, is also an NSAID.
- Methotrexate. This is a chemotherapy drug doctors also prescribe for arthritis.
- Prednisone. This is a commonly prescribed anti-inflammatory corticosteroid drug.
- Biologic agents such as Humira and Enbrel. These expensive drugs are usually given intravenously or by injection.
- Pregabalin (Lyrica). This anti-epilepsy and anticonvulsant drug is frequently used to treat fibromyalgia.
And these are only a small sample of the many arthritis drugs on the market, all of which have serious side effects. Some drugs, such as tramadol and narcotic painkillers (including hydrocodone) even carry the potential for drug addiction.
If These Side Effects of Common Arthritis Drugs
Don’t Scare You — They Should!
They certainly scare Michelle Schoffro Cook, a board-certified doctor of natural medicine, certified herbalist, and nutritionist with 25 years of research and experience in the natural health field.
Dr. Cook is not surprised by the number of patients she has seen with arthritis. After all, arthritis is the leading cause of disability in the United States. Because so many people seek out her advice when conventional medical treatment fails to help them with their arthritis pain, she spent years examining the research available on natural therapies for joint diseases.
In order to help as many arthritis sufferers as possible, Dr. Cook put everything she discovered into her groundbreaking new book
Arthritis-Proof Your Life: Secrets to Pain-Free Living Without Drugs.
In this book, you will see the cutting-edge research showing that low-grade inflammation, nutritional deficiencies, food sensitivities, infections, and an inflammatory diet can aggravate your arthritis symptoms. (Or cause you to develop arthritis in the first place.)
In Arthritis-Proof Your Life, you’ll find dozens of scientifically proven natural therapies and remedies for arthritis that have never before been compiled into a single book. Many of these treatments are virtually unknown to the general public.
And while you can’t cure arthritis itself, Dr. Cook will help you find ways to cure the pain and symptoms that accompany it.
In her practical, easy-to-read book, you will discover:
- How you can eat to beat inflammation, identify food sensitivities, and heal the infections and imbalances linked to arthritis . . .
- How medical aromatherapy helps restore proper pain signals to your brain, which will decrease inflammation and give you joint pain relief . . .
- The Indian spice that works better on your muscle and joint pain than 500 mg of acetaminophen (and protects your liver at the same time) . . .
- Why the wrong fats in your diet are a serious threat to your joints . . .
- How you can put pain reduction at your own fingertips in the form of acupressure . . .
- New and advanced natural treatments, including potent plant-based nutrients that combat joint damage — and the “suppressed” treatment most doctors have never even heard about . . .
- An easy way to say goodbye to joint pain by drinking more of this beverage (good news: it’s FREE!)
- The most common foods that cause inflammation in your body — and aggravate your arthritis (hint: contrary to popular belief, milk does
do a body good).
- The “miracle warriors” that fight against arthritis to reduce swelling and speed the healing process . . .
- The little-known connection between arthritis and your gut (see why it matters) . . .
- Why your body wash and other personal care products could be increasing your joint pain (see what to use instead) . . .
- How 2 tablespoons a day of this delicious fruit extract is 10 times more effective than aspirin at alleviating inflammation . . .
- 6 reasons why you should avoid this commonly used sweetener like the plague . . .
- Delicious, easy-to-make recipes to erase pain and heal your joints . . .
- And much, much more!
The information you’ll find in this book could mean the difference between maintaining a healthy, active, pain-free life into your golden years — or having to live life from the couch, sidelined by pain and other symptoms.
No one should have to suffer that way. That’s why Newsmax Health has reserved a complimentary copy of
Arthritis-Proof Your Life
Although this 244-page book retails for $24.99, Newsmax has made special arrangements to ship
Arthritis-Proof Your Life
out to you right away at no charge. Simply subscribe, or renew your subscription, to Dr. David Brownstein’s Natural Way to Health. Your investment comes out to only a few pennies a day.
You Will Also Receive a FREE Bonus Report
Along with your FREE book, Newsmax Health will also send you a copy of the Special Report
Ultimate Guide to Healthy Joints
(another $9.95 value).
In your FREE report, you will see how achy and stiff joints don’t just make your life miserable — they can kill you. While osteoarthritis won’t strike you down like a heart attack, it may shorten your life by limiting your ability to move. This can actually trigger a medical death spiral.
And new findings you will hear about in your special report reveal we are developing arthritis earlier in life than previously believed. In fact, 7 out of 10 Americans over 34 have now experienced joint stiffness or other joint concerns.
In your report, Ultimate Guide to Healthy Joints, you will discover:
- How “taking it easy” can make your arthritis worse (and what you should do instead) . . .
- Best joint-saving supplements and pain-fighting foods . . .
- How being overweight is the leading cause of joint issues among women (and the second leading cause for men) . . .
- Simple exercises from a top physical therapist to help you avoid knee surgery or knee replacement . . .
- The odd but enjoyable activity that eased pain and decreased the use of pain medication by 39% in older women . . .
- Easy ways to help those unattractive and painful bunions (and how to decide if surgery is necessary) . . .
- 5 ways to make sure you get the very best medication for your condition . . .
- How to use the ancient, natural practice of homeopathy to reduce pain and speed healing . . .
- And much, much more!
Between your FREE book and FREE special report, you’ll be much better equipped to fight back against joint damage, pain, and inflammation — major factors that could prevent you from enjoying an active, energetic life.
And that’s not all. If you decide to subscribe to
Natural Way to Health
for two years at a special discounted rate, you will receive an additional bonus gift.
Get a FREE Copy of Dr. David Brownstein’s
Natural Way to Health Archive Book (a $99 Value)
As a subscriber to his highly popular newsletter Natural Way to Health, I’m sure you have seen some of Dr. Brownstein’s many successes using natural remedies in conjunction with the best of conventional medical care.
Recently, in an effort to help more people regain their health, energy, and youthfulness, Newsmax Health compiled 315 pages of Dr. Brownstein’s proven health strategies into one easy-to-use book.
That’s right — 36 special reports culled from some of Dr. Brownstein’s most popular issues of
Natural Way to Health
have been bound into one handsome volume.
And as a token of appreciation for being such a loyal subscriber, we’d like to send you a copy at no charge just for agreeing to subscribe, or renew your subscription, for two years at a specially discounted rate.
This unique book will be a great addition to your home health library (and it also makes a great gift).
From A to Z, from acid reflux to the importance of zinc, you’ll find the answers to those health problems that trouble you and your family members the most. With the comprehensive index in this book, you’ll no longer have to spend your valuable time digging for the answers to your burning health questions.
Here’s just a small sample of what you’ll discover:
- Simple steps to prevent deadly cancers —
Jump right to page 75
- How both men and women can stay young with testosterone —
Check out pages 81-87
- Easy strategies to head off dangerous thyroid disorders —
Flip to page 65
- Are you poisoning yourself with bad supplements? —
See pages 163-167
- A natural approach to preventing heart problems —
Open to page 104
- Help for acid reflux and common stomach troubles —
Go to page 145
- Discover the secret cause of most major infections —
Head to page 121
- The real truth about statins and your health —
Find what you need on page 225
- Proven tactics to sleep better without drugs —
Get on over to page 128
Truly, it doesn’t get any easier than that.
Now, because of your proactive stance toward maintaining optimal health, I’m sure you’d continue reading
Natural Way to Health
— even without bonus gifts. But this special offer should make it an easy decision for you.
And remember, you are under NO obligation to continue with
Natural Way to Health.
Your satisfaction is guaranteed.
As you can imagine, this is a very popular offer and supplies are limited. Please claim your own gift copy of
Arthritis-Proof Your Life
and bonus report immediately, while we still have copies in stock in our warehouse. And enjoy your valuable copy of
Dr. Brownstein’s Natural Way to Health Archive Book
with a two-year subscription at a fantastically low rate.
Isn’t it time to reduce your pain, soothe your joints, and live the active life you deserve?
Simply click on the link below to get your gifts. You don’t even need to be at the end of your subscription to take advantage of this opportunity. We’ll simply add the additional issues to your remaining subscription.
To Your Best Health,
For Newsmax Health